Wednesday 14 March 2012

Hostage - Robert Crais

Date Read: Unknown

Jeff Talley, the police chief in a small Southern California town, still has nightmares about the young hostage who died when he made the wrong call in his previous job as a negotiator for an LAPD SWAT team. Now, three smalltime punks go on the run after a grocery store robbery and killing in Talley's town.

Soon his deputies have surrounded the house where the inept robbers have taken Walter Smith and his two children hostage, and Talley's back in his worst dream again: until the county sheriff's full-fledged SWAT team arrives and takes over, he has to negotiate for their lives.

My Thoughts: This book must have been a particularly good one, because even though I read through it years ago it really has resonated with me and I will always put it up there amongst my favourite thrillers. I can remember it being really tightly written, with some fantastic characters and plot twists.

Mars is a brilliant character, very colourful and stands out vividly to me; Jeff is a pretty good anti-hero with a troubled past. I couldn't stop reading it, it became impulsive - and the ending is a good one as well.

One tip - the film of this book is atrocious and doesn't even begin to mirror the tightness of the plot. Don't bother watching it (unless you've read the book already and want to see the perfect example of how badly books can be interpreted onto film).

I RATED IT 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment