Wednesday 14 March 2012

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

Date Read: Unknown

Summoning up more than 20 years of Japan's most dramatic history, the geisha's story uncovers a hidden world of eroticism and enchantment, exploitation and degradation. It moves from a small fishing village in 1929 to the glamorous and decadent Kyoto of the 30s and on to postwar New York.

My Thoughts: I remember my stepdad handing me this book when I was around about 13, and I became engrossed in it straight away. Arthur Golden paints such a vibrant and vivid background, and then fills it with all kinds of colourful (and very real) people in a completely different world to our own.

With a bucketful of romance and a twist of jealousy laced into the plot - This book will always resonate with me on the deepest of levels: and I believe I was at the perfect age and time of my life to read it. A very wise decision to pass it on to me at that point.

I RATED IT 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment