Thursday 21 June 2012

The Magician's Guild - Trudi Canavan

Date Read: July 2010

This year, like every other, the magicians of Imardin gather to purge the city of undesirables. Cloaked in the protection of their sorcery, they move with no fear of the vagrants and miscreants who despise them and their work—until one enraged girl, barely more than a child, hurls a stone at the hated invaders . . . and effortlessly penetrates their magical shield.

My Thoughts: I really do not understand all of the hype that surrounds these books at all (but then again, the popularity of the Twilight series also has me baffled).

The writing isn't great. The characters are dull. The whole world that Canavan creates here falls a little flat to me and most of the book is spent chasing Sonea about as she is in hiding. There is nothing challenging about it at all - it's a bit like painting your living room magnolia. Unoffensive, no content and no real issues are addressed.

The book completely lacks depth; however, I have been discussing this with a colleague of mine and she insists that the trilogy gets so much better as it goes along. She tells me that you really get into the 2nd book and it's worth reading. I can see how this series has potential and I won't be picking up book 2 myself, but I think that others will enjoy the Black Magician Trilogy.


I RATED IT 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment