Monday 8 April 2013

Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov

"Lolita,light of my life,
fire of my loins."
Rated 10/10

The book chronicles the life of its narrator and protagonist, Humbert Humbert, a middle-aged, fastidious college professor, focusing on his disastrous love affair with a young girl (he happens to like little girls), named Lolita, whom he'll do anything to possess. 

My Thoughts: Such a brilliantly written novel about a subject so terrible, and told through the eyes of a manipulative, destructive man. He tries to coerce the reader into sympathising with him, whilst all the time ruining the life of a young girl. He plays games with Lolita as he plays games with the reader. Isolates her, abuses her, blackmails her. Attempts to make us understand him. And it seems that some readers have actually been swayed by his immature obsessive ways.

An absolutely stunning read that I could not put down despite being horrified by it. Very well written, gripping and captivating and I can't help but hope that the writer had no life experience in the matter; he writes with such vivid style. Definitely one to read.

I have no idea why anyone could describe this novel as 'comic'. I don't quite know where the comedy lies. It is NEVER a child's fault, and (dear reader) it should NEVER be interpreted that way. The relationship in this book shouldn't be glamorised or romanticised. Adults hold a responsibility for protecting the health and well being of children, for teaching them morals and values and attempting to lead by example so that children can grow up forming their own happy and healthy relationships. This is one subject matter that I will always get on my soapbox for.

No comments:

Post a Comment