Monday 8 April 2013

Without Fail - Lee Child

"They found out about him in
July and stayed angry all
through August."
Rated 4/10

Featuring Jack Reacher, hero of the new blockbuster movie starring Tom Cruise. This time, he's in the line of fire, protecting the Vice President of the United States.

My Thoughts: I was pretty disappointed with the 6th book in the Jack Reacher series. The first few were brilliant - fast, furious and somewhat believable despite the larger than life protagonist and plot lines.

Without Fail lacked most of the drama that we have come to expect from Lee Child's thrillers. The plot didn't tie up (I won't spoil it, but the antagonists had a very poor motive for killing the VP). 

There is also one massive plot hole that doesn't add up. It was to do with the 'messages' and one particular message that the bad guys sent the VP that would have given the game away right off the 'bat'. Completely out of character for them as they do such a good job of attempting not to be identified the whole way through. 

Froleich was an awful character! Supposedly a strong and professional woman and yet going round and round in circles about an ex from years ago; At one point pretty much a full chapter was made from her blaming Reacher over her ex's death - it drove me insane and could have been completely skipped - not great at all!!!

In fact, a fair amount of this book could have been skipped over.

I did love Neagley as a character however, and I loved the relationship she has with Reacher - a full set of Reacher-style thrillers could probably be made from her and I would definitely pick them up.

I have given this book 2 stars simply because it is a Jack Reacher book - and that in itself makes it worth them. Reacher is still a fantastic character and I still wish he was real, and I still wish he wasn't Tom Cruise on the big screen, and I will still be reading through the rest of the series!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment