Tuesday 2 June 2015

Ex-Heroes - Peter Clines

I rated this 1/10

The first in a spectacularly genre-mashing adventure series that pits a small group of courageous, flawed, terrified superheroes against hordes of undead.

(Reading copy very kindly sent to me on request by Mike from Random House) 

I couldn't finish this book I'm afraid (I seem to be getting better at putting books aside if they're not doing it for me). After expecting something really spectacular, I was very disappointed with it and just couldn't carry on.

My main gripe was with the characters. There wasn't a single protagonist that felt well-rounded to me, maybe because there were so many to describe, and all of the female characters seemed over-sexualised or cliched. The bad guys were also one dimensional, and I just couldn't connect, sympathise or feel any kind of emotion towards anyone. I think that if Clines had reduced the amount of characters down to a smaller group in the first instance and spent a little more time allowing me to get to know them, I might have felt a bit more of a connection.

The final factor in my decision to put the story down was that I didn't like Clines' writing style, to me it lacked personality and flavour. The plot felt flat and I couldn't see it going anywhere exciting.

I'm sure that others might have had a better reading experience of this one, but although I really loved the concept of superheroes and zombies - there was nothing here that got me hooked!

I think the cover art of this book is ace by the way, it instantly caught my eye and made me want to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment