Tuesday 2 June 2015

The Running Man - Richard Bachman

I rated this 9/10

It's not just a game when you're running for your life.
     Every night they tuned in to the nation's favorite prime-time TV game show.

     They all watched, from the sprawling polluted slums to the security-obsessed enclaves of the rich. They all watched the ultimate live death game as the contestants tried to beat not the clock, but annihilation at the hands of the Hunters. Survive thirty days and win a billion dollar jackpot—that was the promise. But the odds were brutal and the game rigged. Best score so far was eight days.
     And now there was a new contestant, the latest Running Man, staking his life while a nation watched.

The Running Man is the first book I have ever picked up written by Stephen King. I have always been under the impression that King's novels are massively far-fetched and have random paranormal twists to them that make no sense at all. I don't know where I got this feeling from, but how wrong I have been! At least in this case anyway!

Stephen King writes as Richard Bachman in this gritty, dystopian, reality-tv themed thriller and it was entirely down my street. Richards was a brilliant character and I liked him instantly. He has his head screwed on in an ever more chaotic world, and has his morals and values in all the right places as society becomes ever more corrupt around him...
"Spare me the cheap snatch," Richards said. "I'm married." - pg 40
The Running Man is very fast and very furious, keeping me engrossed on a hot, packed train even whilst I had other commuters coughing down my ear and standing on my toes. I couldn't tear my eyes from it.

Despite the extreme poverty, the brutal massacres and bloodshed that is rife in this Big Brother nation, King lets us glimpse the hope, warmth and loyalty that is present in all walks of humanity. He tackles class and race issues, builds towering skyscrapers and advanced weaponry; and sets us down running with "...MINUS 100 AND COUNTING..."
"We've been on for six years. To date, we have no survivals. To be brutally honest, we expect to have none."
"Then you're running a crooked table," Richards said flatly.
Killian seemed more amused than horrified. "But we're not... Mr Richards. People won't be at the bars and hotels or gathering in the cold in front of appliance stores rooting for you to get away. Goodness! no. They want to see you wiped out, and they'll help if they can..." - pg 39
I will be highly recommending The Running Man. I haven't seen the film starring Arnie, but the book has quickly become one of my all time favourites. I have the rest of Bachman (AKA King)'s titles, and I will be working my way through them.

No comments:

Post a Comment